The Santa Fe Garden Club was founded in 1939.
Forty-four years later, the club became a member of the prestigious Garden Club of America (GCA), a national organization with 200 member clubs.
Since its inception, the Santa Fe Garden Club’s 50 members have offered home and garden tours to raise funds to benefit community outreach projects and cover the expenses of flower and photography shows.
At the first home and garden tour in 1940, members paid 25c and walked from home to home on Santa Fe’s Historic Eastside – raising a total of $37. During the 1940’s, tour proceeds also supported WWII efforts in the form of a milk depot, community and victory gardens, and clothing sent to Holland.
1950s Behind Adobe Walls Tours proceeds purchased white petunias for the Santa Fe Opera and funded the creation of a courtyard garden at the Fine Arts Museum and maintenance of the Amelia White Rose Garden.
The tradition of community involvement continued with the creation of an instructional Dyers Garden at the Spanish Colonial Arts Museum.
In 2017, the Santa Fe Garden Club was honored to be a recipient of the coveted GCA Founders Fund Award and $10,000 to benefit Phase II Moon Terrace at the Santa Fe Botanical Garden. The same year, the club funded the re-design and installation of the New Mexico Museum of Art Courtyard Garden as a legacy gift to the citizens and visitors of Santa Fe.
Behind Adobe Walls™ and Pequeño Home and Garden Tours proceeds now yield more than $20,000 annually and continue to support a variety of community projects in the areas of conservation, horticulture, flower arranging, education, and programs specifically designed for school age children.